the pictures for a larger view. Submitted by Bonnie Evans.
Thank you Gail Thompson for sending this
information to us. Her source was: "History of Pleasant Springs
Church, Presbyterian Church (USA) Dept. of History & Records
Management Services." This document appears to be written circa 1930
(Marsha's note). This document was typed as written. Spelling errors
in names were not corrected. All ( )parentheses are done by Marsha.
All brackets [ ] were written in the text by the unknown author of
On January 10, 1845, the Presbyterian people
of this community came together and organized a group of worshipers
known as Pleasant Springs Presbyterian Church. The organization
derived its name from the location. The church stood on a small hill
surrounded by lovely oaks, pines and other shrubbery. At the foot of
the slope on the west side, and in a hollow among the trees, bubbled
a lovely spring known as Pleasant Springs. This spring supplied
several families with water. Today the spring is performing the same
mission as it did eighty-five years ago, when our little church was
organized. At that time, Mr. Gaston owned the property on which the
spring is located, and today it belongs to Mr. Samuel Palmer.
At the time of the organization of the
Presbyterian church, the Methodist Episcopals had a church located
on these same grounds. They manifested their Christian spirit by
letting the newly organized church share their building.
Among those enrolled at the time of the
organization were Mr. & Mrs. Lindsy Henderson, Mr. & Mrs. William
Gerrard, Mr. & Mrs. Henry Moore, Mrs. Gaston, and Mrs. White. Among
the early members were, Mrs. Jane Fortune, Mr. & Mrs. Allie
McDonald, Mr. & Mrs. William Kellis, Mr. & Mrs. Leven Stokes, Mr. &
Mrs. Sam Breckenridge, Mr. Jeff Peden and family. Later came Mr. &
Mrs.. Samuel Henderson, Mr. & Mrs. Wilson Henderson, MR. & Mrs. Bob
Barrett, Mr. & Mrs. John McArthur, Mr. & Mrs. Johnnie Breckenridge,
Mr. Henry Breckenridge, Miss Mag (sic) Rosamond, and Mr. & Mrs. J.
A. Hutton, Mr. & Mrs. J. A. Hutton being parents of one of the
builders of the present church.
Sometime before the Civil War, the members
[just as we did recently], felt the need of a new church. They went
to work in a cooperative spirit and a building was erected that
stood until the erection of the one we now have. The old church,
that is sacred to the many who are now scattered from Coast to
Coast, was erected by Mr. Henry Breckenridge, assisted by Mr.
Rountree (sic). Materials used in the building of the Old Church
were not as easily obtained as building materials are today. Some of
the frame work was hewn by hand from the best of timbers; requiring
hours of hard labor. The remainder of the material was sawed with an
old time sash saw, operated by a water mill; which was very slow
work. Years later Mr. John McArthur hauled the ceiling from Meridian
in wagons, and it was put up by Messrs Samuel Henderson and Kit
Mr. Henry Moore deeded the land for the
Church site during a period of time in which services were not being
held in the church; it came near being lost. Mr. bill Kellis gave
$10 to Mr. Heck Curry to get the deed straight, and the church was
It was during the erection of this old building that an incident of
interest occurred; a boy, John Gerrard, was going up to the church
[having been sent on an errand], when very suddenly he heard pistol
shots. He could see there were two men and apparently they were
shooting at each other. He knew that Mr. Breckenridge was one of the
men, and this frightened the boy so that he turned and went to Mr.
Sam Breckenridge and told him that someone was at the church with
his brother and they were shooting at each other. This frightened
Mr. Breckenridge also and he seized his gun and went to the church
as fast as his horse could carry him. In extreme suspense and
excitement, he rushed up to the church---but only for a good laugh,
for the two men had been shooting at a spot some distance off.
I have been told that during the "good old
days" of which the older ones like to talk the Spirit of God dwelt
in their hearts. The cooperation was fine and everything went along
smoothly. They had a splendid Sunday School at times, with fine
singing, which helped to give everyone a lift spiritually. The
leader of the singing at one time was Mr. William Kellis, together
with Mr. Ion Vandevender as bass singer. Mr. Johnnie Breckenridge
was also a great help with the singing. It was during this period of
time that the Methodist and Presbyterians again shared the same
building. In these days when people had to walk, ride horse-back or
go in ox-cart, the church was always full; and very often the
congregation could not be seated.
Mr. Johnnie Breckenridge played a very
important part in the history of Pleasant Springs Church. He, too,
was an elder for quite a while, representing the church at
Presbytery in a very effective way. He did outstanding work as
superintendent of the Sunday School for many years. Rev. McClain was
pastor at that time. He said that the fire-side Sunday School of
which Mr. Breckenridge was superintendent was one of (the) best and
most influential of which he knew. It added great strength to the
church, even young people from other communities attended. Those who
made mention of Mr. Breckenridge in connection with church work,
never fail to mention the Sunday School. somehow, he and the Sunday
School were inseparable in the minds of those who were young at that
time. Thus the influence reached far and a lasting good was
accomplished through God's strength and his efforts.
On Thursday morning, September 17, 1685 (I
believe this to be an error, it should read 1865), the last link of
the chain that bound the past to the present, in Pleasant Springs
Church was broken. --- Lindsy Henderson passed from his labors and
suffering on earth to his reward in Heaven. He was born in
Rockingham County, NC on June 26, 1810. From there he moved to
Alabama, where he married Mary Ann Breckenridge. In 1844 he moved
with his family to Kemper County, Miss, and built his home not far
from Pleasant Springs. Here he live forty-one years, and here he
died as he lived ---in the living faith of Christ a personal Savior.
Mr. & Mrs. Lindsy Henderson were among the names enrolled at the
organization of the Presbyterian Church, which was only one year
after their arrival here.
On the 6th of October 1860, Mr. Lindsey
Henderson was chosen and ordained to the office of ruling elder;
that he ruled his house well is evidenced by the fact that his
children as they grew up endorsed the covenant made for them by
their parents, and are all member of Christ's body through faith;
that he ruled over the church for good, let this speak ---The church
was weak and had been for years. Frequently the church would be
without ministerial leadership for long periods at a time. During
these periods he was often approached on the subject of changing his
church relations. It being well understood that if he should lead,
the flock would follow. His mild but firm reply was; "I am doing
very well in the Presbyterian Church. I see no good reason for
changing" By his firm stand it was kept alive, and for that reason
our church exists today. ---he is dead, yet not dead, but lives;
lives in the affection of his children, his grandchildren and many
Three of his children are present today; Mr.
Samuel Lindsey Henderson, age 87, Mrs. Janie Barrett, age 82, and
Mrs. Hattie McArthur age 79. All are members of this church and have
been since their girlhood and manhood. There is another sister, Mrs.
Mary Spier, age 84, a noble woman who resides in Greenville, Ala.
She was also a member of this church until she married and went to
live at Snow Hill, Ala. Also there was a brother Mr. Wilson
Henderson, who died about nine years ago, at the age of 76. He too
was (unreadable). A brother, Richard, who was studying for the
ministry, was killed in the service, during the Civil War. His Bible
that was used for study at that time was given to his brother
Samuel, who was also in service. Samuel's son, West is now in
possession of the Bible, which is in very good condition.
Among those that have served as deacons in
this church are Messrs. Lindsy Henderson, Bill Kellis and Gene
McArthur. Mr. Kit McArthur looked after the finance of the church
for years. At his death, Mr. W. J. Creekmore did this work until he
moved away; at that time, Mr. J. D. Barrett was made Deacon, and has
carried the work along faithfully. He is a grand-son of Lindsey
Henderson and a son of Mrs. Janie Barrett. Harvey Breckenridge also
served as Deacon, then as elder until he became a member of another
Some of the Elders of the church were as
follows; Messrs. Jeff Peden, Allen McConald (probably McDonald), Sam
Breckenridge and Dr. Ben McArthur. Mr. Lindsey Henderson took up the
work in 1860; later, when a vacancy occurred, it was filled by
Samuel Henderson, who remained elder until this day. Thus, father
and son were serving together. A few years ago, a vacancy was filled
by Samuel Henderson's son, West Henderson. Another instance of
father and son serving together. At the death of Dr. J. D. Kellis,
Mr. Wilson Henderson, (there is a Robert Wilson Henderson, died
1920, that is buried in Pleasant Springs Cemetery) another of
Lindsey Henderson, became an Elder and served until his death a few
years ago. This vacancy was filled by his son, Luther Henderson, who
is also serving at this time.
Do you now see what the faith of one man
sixty ears ago is still doing for our church? it is due to his faith
and courage that our church stands today.
Mr. Johnnie Breckenridge was for a great many years Supt. of
Sunday-School and played a mighty important part in the history of
the Pleasant Springs Church. He also was an Elder for quite a while,
representing the church at Presbytery in a very efficient way. His
family, composed of the two boys and six girls, are still active in
church work at Pleasant Springs.
Among the first Pastors of the old church
were Rev. Hasard Smith, Rev. Henderson, Rev. Mooney. It was Mr.
Mooney who named and baptized Mrs. Hattie McArthur. Soon after the
war, cam Rev. Carothers, who united Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Henderson in
wedlock, on Jan 10, 1874. Rev. McLean of Louisville, served the
church faithfully for a number of years. He was a man that everyone
loved. All of Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Henderson's children were baptized
by Rev. McLean. Following Mr. McLean were Revs. Moss, Boiles, and
Hill. Rev. Hill was a great worker. He died while serving this group
of churches and was buried in DeKalb. [His wife was buried at DeKalb
sometime this past winter]. Then cam Rev. Simpson, Rev. Worrel, Rev.
Shaw, and Rev. Elliott. Rev. Elliott also died while serving this
group of churches. He, too, was greatly liked and loved, and he did
a splendid work here. Following Rev. Hill, cam Rev. Underwood; and
then Rev. Archie Warren, a splendid worker and a home man whom
everyone loved from childhood. Rev. Nicholson served (the) church
well for several years, resulting in several additions to the
church. One instance, father and grand-children came in the church
at the same service. He, too, was a deep thinker and held the esteem
of the people here. Last but not least, came Rev. G. E. Tucker, who
each month, brings us God-sent spiritual messages. He has been
instrumental in the erection of our new church. We, as members of
this church are grateful to him for his untiring efforts put forth
in behalf of a worship for us. The time and energy put into this
work was unlimited. He saw that we got the very best for our money,
from roof to the foundation, including inside furnishings. His
contribution was liberal also.
We cannot forget to thank our constructors, Messr. Allie Hutton and
Alex Gibson, who have been so patient and ready to ratify every wish
of the members of this church, even in the minutest details of its
construction. Mr. Hutton expressed his appreciation for being chosen
as one of the contractors; he having spent his childhood days and
the greater part of his life in this community. He expressed a very
deep sentiment for the old church and its history. Are we proud of
our new church? It is needless to say that we are. Our hearts are
filled to overflowing with gratitude for it.
To each of you we extend a hearty welcome
and an invitation to visit us frequently.
Historian of Auxiliary
(there was no signature noted)
After the erection of the new church there
came about a period of rapid growth in the spiritual life of the
community. The Sunday School, which had grown so very weak, grew
into a real working school. The attendance at church services
increased greatly and a goodly number was added to the church. The
young people's work was organized under the leadership of Mrs.
Flarra Marshburn and later under the direction of Mrs. West
Henderson. This proved to be one of the most helpful of all the
church activities. There the children and young people learned to
take an active part in church services. It has one much to develop
the boys and girls of the church and community, into splendid church
and community leaders. This work was begun during the time that Rev.
G E. Tucker served as pastor. Rev. Tucker served us faithfully for a
number of years.
After Rev. Tucker came, Rev. J. D. Simpson
as pastor of the church, soon after the arrival of Rev. and Mrs.
Simpson, Mrs. Simpson met with the ladies of Pleasant Springs
community in the home of Mrs. R. L. Henderson and organized the
Ladies Auxiliary. This has proven to be one of the most efficient of
all the church organizations. When there is a job to be done for the
upbuilding of the community and the Glory of God, the Auxiliary is
always there to take a leading part and see that it is put over in
the very best possible way. The men of the community have been very
loyal in backing up with their money, the things that the ladies
were trying to do, when it was necessary.
The first officers of the auxiliary were;
President, Mrs. J. W. Hailey; Secretary, Mrs. DeWayne Henderson;
Treasurer, Mrs. DeWitt Barrett.
Among the things the Auxiliary has done the first year are; Bought a
heather for the church. Sent $10 to the flood suffers. Provided
clothing and books for children who could not have gone to...
This is all of the document that I have. If
you have the rest of this document, please send it to