Methodist Church and Parsonage built in 1893.
The Scooba Methodist Church was
built in 1893 by a traveling carpenter. His only recompense for his
services was his "board and keep".
In 1942 the membership began a
campaign to build a new building. The Woman's Society of Christian
Service opened a cafe in town on Saturday's. They raised $500. This
was the first money put into the building fund.
The war began and the new
building was put on hold. In 1945 interest was renewed and plans
It was not until 1917 that the
ground was broken for the building. Mr. Earl Trammell and Mr. Henry
Hardin had given the lot on Front Street. Mr. W.B. Vaughn was hired
as contractor. Before the building was completed Mr. Vaughn was
called back to South America and Mr. Morris Gifford finished the
The first service was held in
the new church on December 21, 1947. The official opening service
was held on January 4, 1948.
Jane Briggs, daughter of Aaron and Hazel Briggs of Porterville and
Bill Shreve were the first couple to be married in the new church.
From "Kemper County,
Mississippi - A Pictorial History", placed here with permission by
the Kemper County Historical Commission.