Presbyterian Church and Manse. Lightning caused the
church to burn
All records of Scooba Presbyterian Church
prior to 1922 were destroyed by fire. The minister in 1922 was Rev.
W.F. Harris. Elders were A. A. Hammack, R. P. Kimbrough and O. P.
Kimbrough. A. A. Hammack was the stated clerk of the session and
served until his death in December 1937. There were 73 resident
John L. Adams became clerk of the session in
1938 and served until his death in 1962. A.O. Hammack was clerk from
1962 until 1973. At that time C.C. Fleming became clerk. He still
holds that position.
The church was destroyed by fire in 1946.
Services were held at Scooba Methodist Church. Scooba Tabernacle and
the Manse until the current building could be rebuilt in 1947. Also
in 1946 Rev. John Reed was called as pastor. Ruling elders were J.L.
Adams, A.O. Hammack and W. S. Carter. H. G. Frost was a deacon.
There were 91communicants on the roll.
From "Kemper County,
Mississippi - A Pictorial History", placed here with permission by
the Kemper County Historical Commission.