|Name: Americus Mitchell Gill||Rank: Private||Company: C|
The following was obtained from microfiche records at the
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Documents are
secondary sources prepared on printed forms prepared by a 'Copyist'
signing as H. Borbeck or H. Bonbeck. The form indicates, 'From copy
(made in the M.S. Office, War Department, in March 1905)of an
original record borrowed from the Director of Archives and History,
Private. Enlisted 05/14/61, Corinth MS by Capt Walker for 12 months. Old Company F. Subsequently New Company C. 13th Regiment Mississippi Infantry.
This Company was successively designated as Captain Carter's Mississippi Volunteers and as Captain Carter's Company, (Old) Commany F, and (New) Company C, 13th Regiment Mississippi Infantry.
The 13th Regiment Mississippi Mississippi Infantry was organized in May, 1861, of companies which had previously been in the State service and was mustered into the Confererate service for twelve months. About April 26, 1862, the regiment was re-organized and the letters of all companies changed.
Record of particpation in Engagements:
1) Manassas, July 21, 1861: Present.
2) Leesburg, Oct. 21, 1861: Absent Sick.
3) Leesburg, Oct. 22, 1861: Absent Sick.
4) Garnett's Farm, June 27, 1862: Present.
5) Savage Station, June 29, 1862: Present.
6) Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862: Absent without leave.
7) Maryland Heights, Sept. 13, 1862: Asbent sick.
8) Sharpsburg, Sept. 17, 1862: Absent sick.
9)Fredericksburg, Dec. 11, 1862: Captured. (appears on a Parole of Prisoners of War dated Office of the Provost Marshal General, Army of the Potomac, Camp near Falmouth, Va., December 11, 1862.)(Name appears as a signature to a Roll of Prisoners of War paroled until regularly exchanged and sent from Fort Monroe, Va., to City Point,Va. Roll endorsed: ' Rec'd from Capt.l Alexander Mann, 32d Inf, N.Y. Vol., One hundred & fourteen (114) Prisioners of War. City Pt., 18th Dec., 1862 - W. W. Roberts, Capt. Com(illegible) Post.
Incomplete duplicate role is indorsed: 'All Exchanged. Confederates, Jan. 6th, City Point'
10) Fredericksburg, May 3, 1863: Present.
11) Gettysburg, July 2, 1863: Present.
12) Gettysburg, July 3, 1863: Present.
13) Chickamauga, Sept. 20, 1863, Present.
14) Knoxville, Nov. 18, 1863: Absent Sick.
15) Knoxville, Nov. 29, 1863: Absent Sick.
16) Wilderness, May 6, 1864: Present.
17) Spottsylvanian, May 8, 1864: Captured.
Received as POW at Fort Delaware, DelAware, May 20, 1864, and released therefrom on June 11, 1865, after taking Oath of Allegiance to the United States.