Leon Quarles home in Scooba, circa 1930.
Dr. J.E. Tinsley home in Scooba was built around the turn of the century.
Masonic Hall, built in 1915, downtown Scooba.
Left to right: Dr. Tinsley, Bernie Rosenbaum, Grover C. Boyd, Guy Byrd, Howard Nicholson, "Pig" Gilbert and Carl Burton Aust standing on Main Street in downtown Scooba.
Early street scene, Scooba
G.C. "Cleve" Boyd, mayor of Scooba, seated at his desk in his business office. Circa 1922.
Peoples Drug Store, Scooba, Mississippi
Depot in Scooba, Mississippi
Duke Mercantile Company, Scooba, 1870.
G.C. Boyd's Hardware Store, Scooba. G.C. Boyd is behind the counter. Others in the photograph are unidentified.
Bank of Kemper, Scooba. Customers are Mr. Rufust Quarles (front window) and Mr. John F. Pearson (back window). Circa 1910.
James Edward "Edd" Aust in his grocery store in downtown Scooba. Circa early 1920's.
DooGALoo - used in place of money to pay workers at J.C. Johnson Lumber Company
Mill Office of J.C. Johnson Lumber Company, early 1900's. Neely Johnson was in charge of the sawmill and Dale was in charge of the planer mill. Lumber was shipped to Hudson-Mercer in Chicago, Illinois, for many years.
One of Scooba's two early banks.
Quarles General Merchandise, downtown Scooba, circa 1940. In front Mr. Leon Quarles.
Frost Drug, circa 1940. The name was changed to Frost's Sundries around 1958. The business closed in 1980.
Mrs. Betty Nicholson and "Red" Frost, Frost Drug Store, Scooba.
E.M. Shaff Store in downtown Scooba
The first Scooba High School which burned in 1924.
Mr. Virgil O'Neil, the first principal of the Margie B. Aust School in Scooba. In the background is the first hospital in Kemper County at Scooba.
The Carter house, built by James Haughey about 1860, Scooba.
Submitted by John Williams
Downtown Scooba 1920
Old Scooba House
Submitted by Nancy Bell
This is an old house I'm trying to identify. The picture was taken in the 1980's. The house was located about 2 or 3 miles east of Scooba, near the old abandoned Carter cemetery, on the north side of the road, west of the Dozer Rd. intersection. It was near the Old Scooba cemetery, on the opposite side of the road. Some of the families that lived in the vicinity during the 1850's and 1860's were Clark Carter, Hugh Dale, D.C. Greenwood, and Robert Johnson, along with the names listed in the abandoned cemetery. The house has been torn down. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
If you have questions or problems with this site,